We are in the job of saving teeth, so removing a tooth is never our first choice. But there are situations where, for your overall oral health, tooth extraction is the only option we have left.
The team at Eagle Mountain Family Dental understands that having a tooth removed, or "pulled" as some patients say, can be a challenging procedure to face. We assure you that your comfort is our priority, and we will be there to support and encourage you every step of the way.
Reasons for Tooth Extraction
If Dr. Kyle Reeves recommends tooth extraction at our Azle, TX dental office, you can be sure that he has exhausted every other possibility to save it. Some cases where removing a tooth makes sense are:
- Severe tooth decay – If tooth decay advances too far, the damage may be so extensive that placing a filling or crown is no longer an option.
- Root canal infection – When your root canal becomes infected, it damages the tissue that keeps your tooth alive, and we may recommend extraction.
- Dental trauma – A tooth that has been severely damaged by trauma may need to be removed
- Broken tooth – Your teeth are incredibly durable, but they can break down. Injury, decay, or large fillings can damage and weaken a tooth. We may be able to restore a broken tooth with a crown, but if the tooth is too compromised, extraction may be necessary.
- Advanced gum disease – Untreated gum disease can advance until it damages the structures that support your teeth. In some cases, advanced gum disease may lead to extraction to restore gum and dental health.
We perform all tooth extractions here at Eagle Mountain Family Dental. If necessary, Dr. Reeves is also available to perform emergency tooth extractions at our Azle, TX dental office.
Should You Extract Wisdom Teeth?
Not everyone gets wisdom teeth, but they usually appear in the late teens or early 20s. Wisdom teeth are problematic because they’re so far back in the mouth. They can be difficult to brush and floss properly, which can lead to decay and gum disease.
Since our jaws have gotten smaller over time, wisdom teeth may not have enough space to erupt properly. They may come in at odd angles or, in some cases, wisdom teeth may not erupt at all and become impacted in the gums.
In this case, Dr. Reeves would recommend extracting the wisdom teeth. These teeth don’t serve a real purpose anymore, and removing them may be the best solution to protect your overall oral health
We Ensure Your Comfort
Nobody likes the idea of having a tooth extracted. But if it’s necessary, we will do everything we can to make the procedure as comfortable and stress-free as possible.
We offer both nitrous oxide and oral sedation dentistry for our Azle, TX patients. When we schedule your procedure, Dr. Reeves will explain the pros and cons of each. We also offer pillows and blankets, and if there’s anything else you need to be comfortable, we want you to let us know.
Please Call Us for an Dental Exam
At Eagle Mountain Family Dental, we offer all the preventive services you need to keep your smile healthy and avoid the need for extraction. But we’re not here to judge you if something goes wrong; our only goal is to get you the immediate care you need and work with you to maintain a healthy smile in the future.
Please call us at (817) 270-4746 to arrange an appointment. If you are in pain, we will do our best to see you the same day.